Every ONA conference is driven by ideas from the digital journalism community. In the spring, we take session pitches through the Suggestion Box, and throughout the spring and summer, the Program Team helps select and build out sessions. Now, just before the conference, we’re opening up two more ways to get involved: the Lightning Talks and the Unconference.
If you’ve got an idea for a full-blown conference session, you should pitch the unconference. If you’ve got a big idea to share and the guts to present it in five minutes or less, send us your lightning talk by Wednesday, Sept. 23.
The best part about lightning talks is that they are exciting, fast, invigorating and full of good ideas.
Here’s what you do:
1. Figure out what you want to talk about. (Why people should stop doing X at work, a highlight reel on a great project, how journalists can be inspired by other industries, a love letter to your favorite beat … the sky’s the limit, as long as you’re PASSIONATE about it).
2. Pitch your idea to the ONA15 Lightning Talks.
4. Vote for your own session and other lightning talks you want to see. Voting opens Thursday, Sept. 24 and will close 5 p.m. PT on Friday, Sept. 25.
5. When you win, (as you will since you will have submitted an exciting idea that you are passionate about and people are fascinated by), prep your lightning talk! Keep it under five minutes and get to the point quickly! No need for lots of background — get to the point and explain it as quickly as possible. If you make a presentation, use it to show the audience good examples and great jokes. Don’t create a slide deck of every word you are going to say. We can’t read that fast.
6. Give your awesome lighting talk in front of ONA15 attendees on Saturday, Sept. 26 at 3:30 p.m.