Over the years, we’ve experimented with how and when to offer workshops — smaller sessions featuring hands-on training — as part of the conference. We’ve done an informal day of workshops before the conference, offered them at outside locations, and added another full day to integrate them into the program. At ONA15, we’re offering 12 small workshops. After high demand last year, we decided to require pre-registration, or RSVPs.
Why do I need to RSVP for a workshop?
We’re putting attendance limits on the workshops to make sure you get the best experience out of the sessions:
- For people attending the workshop, it means more one-on-one time with peers and the workshop presenter. That translates into more personal attention, more time for questions and fine-tuning any products or ideas developed during the workshop.
- For presenters, it’s easier to plan, prepare and respond to the needs of attendees. Planning materials, topics and training styles for a group of 15 is very different than trying to teach a session that’s hit capacity and has people standing and sitting on the floor.
How do I know what’s considered a hands-on workshop?
All of the workshops are listed below and are flagged on our schedule. Please note: Access is only available to those with a ONA15 full-conference pass. There is no additional fee to RSVP for a workshop .
Here’s what to look for if you’re interested in a workshop:
- All sessions tagged as “Hands-On” are workshops that require an RSVP. You can find those sessions by going to our schedule page and clicking the “Hands-On” filter, or by reviewing the list below. They are color-coded as well.
- Look for the language [RSVP Required] ahead of each session title.
- The session description also indicates when a workshop requires sign-up: [PLEASE NOTE: This workshop has limited capacity and an RSVP is required.]
- Volunteers will be outside the workshop rooms to help check the RSVP list and provide assistance if the workshop you were hoping to attend is already full.
Which sessions do I need to RSVP for?
Here is the complete list of the 12 workshops. Please note that the Mobile Bootcamp sessions are offered twice. You only need to RSVP for one, as each training is identical.
- ESPN Storyteller’s Workshop
- Mobile Bootcamp: Periscope — offered twice, once on Thursday morning and again on Thursday afternoon.
- Mobile Bootcamp: Snapchat — offered twice, once on Thursday morning and again on Friday afternoon.
- Mobile Bootcamp: Instagram — offered twice, once on Thursday afternoon and again on Saturday morning.
- Algorithms and Arduino: How to Make a Twitter Bot with an Audio Sensor
- Creating Your First Podcast: A Beginner’s Workshop
- Professionalizing Your Podcast: An Intermediate Workshop
- Diversity 2.0 Workshop: Getting In Here From Out There
- Learning Basic Data Tools By Crunching Race and Ethnicity Numbers
How do I RSVP?
RSVP on our Eventbrite platform. If you’re only interested in a specific workshop, you can click through the session page to RSVP.
If you have questions regarding registration for ONA — or a particular workshop — please email firstname.lastname@example.org.