This session is sponsored by Table Talks: Developer Tools + Tech
Join us for a series of participatory, inspiring conversations on challenging topics in your area of expertise. Choosing from the list below, you'll have the opportunity to join two conversation topics of your choice during the alotted time.
These discussions will give you an opportunity to collaborate with top minds in the field to find solutions and explore new ideas on common issues you face.
Head to the room that has the topics that interest you most, sit anywhere, and our trained facilitators will you give you (very brief!) instructions on how these will work. Room capacity is approximately 350 participants.
Developer Tools + Tech Notes
Note: Developer Tools + Tech will be in the same room as Mobile Tools + Design and Revenue + Ethics.
Topics and hosts:
Developer Tools and Tech
- Challenges and opportunities of how newsrooms are experimenting with artificial intelligence - Valerie Belair-Gagnon
- Automation bots in the face of drudgery - Honest Charley Bodkin
- Using the right analytical tool for the job: Many tools exist, but what makes you decide when to use different tools: R, Excel, SQL, Django, QGIS, etc, and when are you wasting your time? - Armand Emamdjomeh
- Learn how to build and code things that blink on your desk (or shirt). #MakeEveryWeek - John Keefe
- News orgs have taken some steps away from the never-ending stream. How do you put together a finite product AND keep people updated? - Hailey Persinger
- How simple but custom-built newsroom tools can make our products better - David Yanofsky
Mobile Tools + Design
- Let's brainstorm app ideas for wearables - Cory Bergman
- Thinking like game designer - Game Design and Journalism, engineered collisions and strategies for engaging design - Lindsay Grace
- Storytelling for Mobile - David Ho
- Compelling mobile content - how to make it work in a mixed newsroom - Nathalie Malinarich
Revenue + Ethics
- Unlocking the secrets to foundation funding - Molly de Aguiar
- Big pubs and small pubs face the same challenge: Eyeballs are worth less and subscribers are worth more - Mike Fourcher
- Fundraising: Is it a valuable tool for journalists to learn? - Keren Goldshlager
- the presence of payola and sponsored content in the world of music journalism - Senay Kenfe
- How can we fund independent journalists, and independent journalism? - Tracie Powell
- Ask and ye shall receive: How to crowdfund your next news project. - Emily Ramshaw
- How to Start Up a Start Up - Evan Smith
- The journalist's favorite business model (i.e. ways of monetizing content with least editorial tradeoffs) - Matt Thompson
- How to give credit where credit is due and not be a ridiculously boring digital site - Laura Wides-Muñoz
- How should news organizations handle requests to remove information, particularly in light of growing attention toward a right to be forgotten? - Wendy Wyatt
- Can we understand the dynamics around funding of local journalism through a systems approach? - Tom Glaisyer